10/9/23

desert

 Am I happy?  Am I sad?

In the in-between, I might be mad.

Mad as a hornet, mad as a hare.

Reinventing me, I lost that flare.

Youthful hope once broke through the pain.

But in this now can it happen again?

What I would be is what I have become.

All the parts do not equal the sum.

Behind, only memories, ahead, the drum beat.

I was purpose driven, but the years are fleet.

The light in my eyes, the sparkle, the twinkle

Grows dim with time and surrounded by wrinkles.

Never had as much as I have now.

Seems I was happier with nothing, somehow.

Nothing but a future that I grasped with both hands,

When I had the pluck and mountains of sand.

I used to know what it meant to be free.

But I lost my compass in this desert in me...

This desert in me...


The sun passes over, and the stars, and the moon

Day after step, I'll be dry again soon.

Those that follow have to see I'm a fraud.

All I can do is keep pointing to God.

I know He is true, I know He is real.

If I have nothing else I am kept by this zeal.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

In this cold world I stay warm by this fire.

Its all gone to shit on its way to hell

They know the true God but keep worshiping Baal.

There are those who resist, refuse to comply

Proclaiming the message that this world will die

To those who will not hear and stiffen their necks.

They will be dashed on the rocks, souls shipwrecked.

The cares of this world, the weeds, and the stones

Choke me down again until my heart lies prone

Until over sands in the desert, again, He sends rain.

It trickles, then gushes through this dry plain.

Flowers of hope spring up, and I see

A garden is growing in this desert in me...

This desert in me...

Isaiah 35.1-10, Luke 8.4-15


No comments: