12/31/23

audit 2023

Today is the last day of this year, 2023.  It is 31*F and sunny at 0710.  I am having a cup of coffee and sponging the tranquility of this morning moment.  This is my favorite time of day, I think.  Or at least I think so at this moment.  The dew is still glistening on the roofs and ground because the sun has not risen above the tree tops on the eastern horizon.  All is quiet and still, and it is good.

Christmas has come and gone for the 53rd time in my life.  New Year’s celebrations have mostly been a bummer because, well, either too religiousy, too drunky, or too dull.  Maybe five times in my lifetime have I experienced a joyous ringing in of the new year, and been properly motivated to face the unseen challenges of it.  But I can’t remember which years or even where it was.  This time of year feels more hollow than most.  I can remember a hundred Christmas mornings.  I have no interest in remembering New Year’s nights, rehearsals for disappointment.  Yeah, that sounds a little dark, but honestly. 

I do have New Year’s traditions, processes.  But they are all inward.  There’s the yearly audit of significant events.  There’s the yearly audit of significant triumphs, and defeats.  I feel the frost of mundanity.  “Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.”  Did I make more money?  Did I spend too much?  What increases have I?  What increases may come?  Have I been impacted by the life of another?  Have I made an impact on the life of another?  What have I created?  What have I destroyed?  What have I hated?  What or whom have I lifted?  Have I been a better husband to my wife?  Have I been a better father, son, brother, uncle, cousin, nephew?  How many times did I put my foot in my mouth? How many times did I lie (for those interested in cold, hard truth)?  What sins have I grappled with most this year?  Where have I become unfeeling?  Whom have I, perhaps unconsciously, cut off from access to me?  Who has cut access off to me?  Why?  Remedy? 

A mountain of disappoint in myself pulverizes down.  Some audits bring a glint of satisfaction, some nausea.  It all settles down, driving, pressing, pushing.  I groan under the weight of pressure trying to crush me.  Sometimes I want it to crush me.  Every year I screw up enough to deserve to be crushed entirely, and sometimes, I wish to surrender to it. Then I remember those who are counting on me.  Whatever trespasses I have committed, (and there is always more than good deeds done), I have to maintain a certain mental and spiritual stability-for them. The only shield between my immediate family and utter chaos is me.  My sins are mine, not theirs.  I must stand and fulfill my vows, my responsibilities.  I have to.  Let the mountain try to crush me.  I’m dumb like a rock.  Where sin abounds… 

The giant orb of energy does its thing to the earth.  I’m reminded that God brings sunshine and rain to the just and the unjust alike.  The sun will come out tomorrow.  It’s a reminder to my dismal auditing that there’s another Auditor Who’s reckoning is more perfect-and His mercy and grace pierces my darkness like the rays of the sun bringing warmth and energy to sleeping earth.  The standard He uses in calculating my life is not transgressions versus good deeds as it is with humankind.  It’s the Son.  When the rays of the Son break my tree line I have to respond to His mercies (withholding deserved punishment) and accept His grace (endowing unmerited favor).

Whatever your audit turns up, the only thing that matters going into this new year is the Son arising on your situation, and you receiving the energy of His life into all the areas of your yard.  Next time you sit with a cup of coffee on your front porch surveying your lawn, maybe you will think about how God blesses because of His great love for us all, and how He sent His Son to invalidate our audits.  Just as the giant orb of energy in the sky just keeps doing it’s thing, God loves simply because that’s just the way He is.  It’s what He is.  It’s Who He is.

Happy New Year.


No comments: